Fixing Google’s Annoying Freaking iGoogle Homepage Bug

Posted on Dec 29 2008 - 5:18pm by L.

iGoogle space waster

Yeah I am a Google nut, but once in a while the company that’s out to do the shite for the “Greater Good” screws the pooch. Those of you who use iGoogle homepage know what I am talking about – if you use www.google.com/ig as your landing page with all the groovy customized news, clever quotes of the day, stocks, games, weather and other assorted time wasting stuff you probably noticed the freaking annoying HOME tab on the left side of your screen. This HOME tab sucks up space by creating a gnarly white column of freaking NOTHING. To learn the simple fix… read the super easy details after the break.

To fix it all you have to do is change your landing page from www.google.com/ig to http://www.google.com/ig?gl=all . Get it? Got it? Good!

1. Rob S June 5, 2009 at 7:43 am -

Early June igoogle made some changes. The new code to fix this issue is http://www.google.com/ig?hl=all

2. whyGOOGLEwhy June 5, 2009 at 9:28 am -

Why the hell does Google screw with this stuff 🙁 The cod fix you list cuts off most of the functional tabs like Shopping. Any way to keep that?

3. Irv Berman June 7, 2009 at 6:06 pm -

You deserve a medal or two for finding this fix. I came across it after spending 5-6 hours searching.

Many thanks.

4. Prince June 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm -

Thank you so much Rob S!

5. Neil November 17, 2009 at 7:10 pm -

This fix no longer works. Something on iGoogle has changed in the last 24 hours. Any ideas?

6. Rob S November 17, 2009 at 9:29 pm -

If you are using FireFox just download the addon “iGoogle Tab Remover” works perfect. If you are not using Firefox either switch or hang tight there will be a solution in a day or two.

7. Irv Berman November 26, 2009 at 7:42 am -

To Rob 5: When and if you find a fix to the iGoogle Home tab problem could you pop an email off to me @ irvberman@gmail.com

8. Davd Rubin December 3, 2009 at 11:41 am -

Hi, I am the author of the iGoogle Tab Remover Addon for Firefox. I am glad you like it. I thought you might want to know that I just uploaded a beta version of the addon for Chrome here:

Enjoy!

9. mamano June 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm -

go to igoogle setting, scroll down the page and just click on reset, no more annoying music.