Motorola’s latest FRS Two-Way radio the MT350R (and MT352) are pretty slick. To start off they are rugged and have an IP-54 rating which means they can take some pretty dusty and wet environments. Some of the cool features include;
- a built in LED flashlight
- a distress signal (broadcasts to other radios)
- NOAA channels
- Talkabout Clear – improves clarity and distortion
- PTT power option – you can transmit at two different powers
- Dual Watch – you can monitor two channels at the same time
- Battery options – you can use 3AAA batteries or the NiMH rechargeable battery
- Mini-USB charging
- Headset connector
We will update the post with a full review when we get our hands on the Motorola MT350 radio. They are priced fairly at $69 for a two pack.
The Motorola MT350R FRS radios are packed with some pretty cool features… but I am very suspicious of the 35-mile range claim. I realize the manufacturers (the all do it) put these huge range expectations and the tag it with a tiny asterisk that says something like “under ideal conditions”. Give me a break… I have tried so many radios and they often don’t even get 1/2 mile in city conditions… sure they will do better if we are directly across a flat empty lake… but how realistic is that type or range claim?