DVD John upsets the apple cart

Posted on Feb 19 2008 - 3:54pm by L.

I am a firm believer in “You bought it, you own it”. When I buy a song online, I believe I have the right to play it – yeah call me crazy. I have the right to play it on any damn thing I own. Say hello to DoubleTwist (no its not another RAW beverage from Pepsi). DoubleTwist is a free application for sharing, enjoying and syncing personal media. One of the cool features is being able to convert DRM infested tunes straight from my iTunes library into an unprotected MP3 format, and thats just the icing on the cake. DoubleTwist lets you go between software formats and hardware platforms through a Barney friendly interface. Oh and let me say it again – ITS FREE. BTW, if you are one of those online narcissists try Twist me! its an app for Facebook users. DoubleTwist was co-created by DVD Jon, the once defiant Norwegian teenager who cracked the DVD encryption code. He since left Norway, moved to California, and hooked up funding from the famous Index Ventures group (they backed Skype, FON and many others). Like plastics, this is going to be Big!

DoubleTwist

1. Gadget King February 19, 2008 at 4:14 pm -

Nice work Gene – couldn’t have said it better!

2. Tdog07 February 19, 2008 at 5:18 pm -

Are you trying to tell me that you think you own the things you buy?!

3. Ghedg February 19, 2008 at 9:50 pm -

I rip everything to MP3 and can’t stand being told how to use the music I bought!

Quit trying to keep the man down Apple. The company that embraces DRM free tunes first will win the long battle. Hardware alone will not keep apples music biz afloat. imho

4. McMerle February 20, 2008 at 1:32 am -

Just downloaded it, thanks! Nifty, but how long before Apple or someone else sues these guys out of biz?

5. HateDRM July 13, 2009 at 9:08 am -

Is this company out of business? The link to doubletwist is dead 🙁

6. OJ Pimpson July 13, 2009 at 10:36 am -

try doubletwist.com without the venture part, looks alive and kicking