When I first saw the Eton Soulra I had to have one, it blends a few of my favorite things, solar power and my iPod/iPhone. Perfect for trips to the beach or pool. The body of the Eton Soulra is aluminum and rubber coated and feels quite sturdy. The product comes with a clear cover to protect your Apple product of choice (works with most iPods and iPhones) and is splash-proof. Another option to protect your MP3 player is to close the solar panel flap.
The rest of the review takes place by the pool, although I couldn't bring myself to splash water on the Soulra. I will just have to take Eton's word that the Soulra is splash-proof. As mentioned earlier this thing feels very strong. The handle is integrated into the case and the design is such that there are no small bits to snap off or break. The rubberized coating is a nice touch and makes the unit easy to hang on to. The buttons (on top of the unit) are sealed so you don't have to worry about water or dirt. The iPod dock has a clever spring loaded support which held my iPhone at the right angle keeping it from stressing the connector port, nice touch. The remote control works as expected and also seems to be rugged and splash-proof.
The sound produced by the Soulra is loud, which is good for outdoor settings. However, don't expect audiophile quality sound.
The solar panel takes about 10 hours (of good sunlight) to fully charge its internal lithium-ion battery ( which is used to power the system and charge your iPod or iPhone. If you plug the Soulra in to the wall outlet the internal batteries are charged in about four hours.
- IPX-4 Splash Proof: Protected against spraying water from all angles at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 minutes
- Four-hours of audio playback at mid-volume and continuous charging of iPod and iPhone in battery mode
- Rechargeable Battery: Two cell lithium ion 2000mAh, 7.4V; 4-hour recharge time via AC; 10-hour recharge time in direct sunlight;
- Two full-range speaker drivers with a total output of 11W
- Solar powered charging dock, compatible with iPod and iPhone; Audio line input for connecting iPod shuffle, MP3 players, etc.