The SD/IXUS models are made up of Canon’s ‘style-orientated’ compact digital cameras and, as the rest of the market chased the many specific niches, the SD/IXUS range has grown to accommodate many needs. The SD4000IS tops the current Canon PowerShot SD lineup, sporting a 3.8x wide-angle zoom and aperture and shutter priority modes. The SD4000 IS is the first of its family to use the back-lit CMOS sensor (Backside Illumination or BSI technology) which enables several high speed modes and the desirable low-light performance lacking in most other models.
The SD4000 IS’s looks like a quite simple camera even though it so much more. The Canon PowerShot SD4000IS has a lens that starts at a 28mm equivalent F2.0 which is pretty impressive. The downside is the F5.3 at the 105mm equivalent end of the zoom range.
Read on for the full review.
The SD4000 IS capitalizes on the CMOS sensor’s faster readout compared to a CCD. This allows for 720p HD video, 3.7fps full resolution continuous shooting, 8.4fps reduced resolution images and 240fps movies which are played back at 30fps to give a slow-motion effect. Being the top of Canon’s style compact range, the SD4000 IS also has a selection of extra shooting modes such as fisheye and miniature (mock tilt/shift) modes.
The Canon SD4000 IS also has optical image stabilization to minimize blur from camera shake. For viewing your photos, there’s a 3-inch LCD screen with 230,000 dots of resolution on back. Though the Canon SD4000 has no optical viewfinder (bummer), the LCD offers approximately 98% coverage.
- 10.0-megapixel CMOS sensor combined with DIGIC 4 Image Processor create the Canon HS System
- f/2.0 lens, great for shooting in low light conditions or using a shallow depth-of-field; 3.8x optical zoom
- 720p HD movie shooting capability; HDMI output connector; Super Slow Motion Movie function
- Low Light mode for dimly-lit situations; shoot like a pro with Aperture- and Shutter-priority modes
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC memory cards (not included)
- Brand Name: Canon
- Model: SD4000IS
- Optical Sensor Resolution: 10 MP
- Optical Sensor Technology: CMOS
- Optical zoom: 3.8 x
- Maximum Aperture Range: F/2.0-5.3
- Minimum focal length: 4.9 millimeters
- Maximum focal length: 18.6 millimeters
- Lens Type: Zoom lens
- Optical Sensor Size: 1/2.3″
- Included Flash Type: Built-in flash
- Display Size: 3 inches
- Light Sensitivity: ISO 800, ISO 125, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO auto, ISO 1600, ISO 3200
- Image types: JPEG
- Shooting Modes: Frame movie mode
- Exposure Control Type: Beach, Kids & pets, Night snapshot, Snow, Portrait mode, Hi-speed burst, Fireworks, Low light, Panorama assist, Indoor, Foliage
- Viewfinder Type: None
- Width: 3.9 inches
- Depth: 0.9 inches
- Height: 2.1 inches
- Weight: 6.2 Ounces