Chase Business Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card Sucks

Posted on Feb 26 2010 - 9:03am by Russ

Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Credit Card Sucks

This is a rant about my Chase Business card, the credit card I use to buy most of my gadgets, so while it is not strictly a gadget, it is most certainly a "gadget enabling device". The short of it is my Chase Business credit card, specifically the Southwest Rapid Rewards card sucks, it sucks hard and with gusto!  At this point some of you may ask "Gee, just how much does Chase Bank suck?  Can we get a visual metaphor?"  Let's just say that it could probably suck a golf ball through a length of garden hose running from Boston to San Francisco.  Read on for the full details.

Due to a mild masochistic streak, I have used this horrible Chase credit card since 2005, and experienced random declines of totally routine charges.  Mind you, it was never a balance or limit issue, more of the hey lets screw with this guys life for $hit$ and giggles. The "best" part was always the complete and utter lack of communication "“ nothing like a call or an email notifying me of potential fraud concerns.

Most recent example, a totally routine repeat purchase from a company that I purchase from twice a month for an unremarkable dollar range got declined.  Upon calling Chase at their 800-346-5538 I got greeted by a smug customer service representative who dished out pearls like "our fraud system determined that this charge was suspicious" and the ambiguously clever "the fraud system found the dollar amount of the transaction to be suspicious" "“ not high not low but "suspicious" (for the record it was not a prime number).  When I asked what they meant more specifically, they could not give me an answer referring back to the unquantifiably magical "fraud system".  I reminded them that this is a business card, and  that I was trying to use it for standard business transactions (from a company that I have a purchasing history with) and like a four year old child they told me they were sorry.  I asked them if there was something I could do differently so my future charges would not keep getting declined and they suggested that I call them every time before using the credit card, at this point I wasn't sure if they were done "helping me" and were simply screwing with me.  The helper, hypothetically let's call her Christine Harwood (since that's the name she used), finally told me that they "fixed" the problem and to try charging the card again.  Much to my chagrin the card got declined again.  I called back Chase and got the same representative who said, "didn't I talk to you earlier" and I said "yes" and after that warm bonding experience she proceeded to grill me with additional security questions. She asked for my date of birth, and to completely blow my mind she followed that up by asking my age just in case a potential criminal could not do the math.

To make a short story long, I got them to finally resolve the issue, and I am now in the process of moving my business away from Chase Business Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card because their fraud practices suck (see the complete suck references in the initial paragraph)!  To compensate for the wasted time I am considering going into a side business of selling T-Shirts with the following slogans:

· Chase business credit card sucks

· Chase credit cards are the worst

· Chase bank sucks

· Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card sucks

· Southwest business credit card sucks

· Chase customer service is poor

· Chase customer service sucks

· Avoid Chase bank and credit cards

1. nelson February 26, 2010 at 10:53 am -

I have heard the exact same types of stories from others. In fact there is an entire site dedicated to how bad Chase bank sucks at chase-sucks.com

2. J Tsjimuto March 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm -

amen

3. K Bassham October 1, 2010 at 9:19 am -

As I am holding on the line with Chase I have to agree fully agree. I have been declined three times for random every day charges, but the most recent was calling in to put a 24 hour hold on a card because I left at a restaurant Chase proceeded to cancel all three of my cards and put everything on hold.

4. Chase sucks November 2, 2010 at 10:28 am -

Chase does suck, not to mention they are using our tax dollars while sucking!

5. Mike December 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm -

I agree 100% In less than a year we have earned 6 round trip tickets. Problem is every time we try to use them there are no seats available except on the longest flights with multiple transfers. Meaning the nice direct flights can not be had with the rewards points but of course if you want to pay you can get them.

Bottom line I will use the flights some how but have completely STOPPED using the Southwest Rewards card. I now use (even though I am not a big fan of Bank of America) their cash rewards credit card. You get 1% back and can use it to pay the monthly bill. Not super great but a lot less hassle.

6. Bright February 15, 2011 at 10:20 am -

I have found Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa to be terrific. Perhaps the problem with the other bloggers is poor personal card and credit management.

7. Darren February 15, 2011 at 10:24 am -

It works. But if you try and use it for “business”, good luck. Their fraud department is the problem. They don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground.

8. Mike February 25, 2011 at 9:11 am -

Agreed cardholders are the problem. I have used this card for over 7 years. Never an isue. Number was stolen during Christmas 2010. They overnighted a new card and canceled all charges. Never paid a late fee. Never had my card declined. Never paid late.

Maybe I am just lucky or???

9. Judy April 4, 2011 at 9:48 am -

I love my Southwest Rewards Card! I have had it for 3 years and never have had one problem with it.
    When I lost it, it was cancelled and replaced immediately.
    I have had problems (mine, not theirs ) making reservations on line. When I call for help they are very courteous and always so helpful. Mine is not a business card, but I use it for everything and always have a fairly high balance at the end of the month. It has never been declined. Again, I love my Sputhwest card and am proud to use it.

10. Anita June 6, 2011 at 9:41 am -

I’m rather on the fence with Chase. I have the Southwest Rewards card and I use it a lot, but maybe 3 times in the first couple of years I had declines, but I was either traveling or buying something from an obscure website. I now call them when I’m going out of state/country and it works perfectly. (not like the previous post…..you don’t have to call everytime you use the card). CapitalOne was the same way…suggesting that you let them know when you are traveling, especially out of the country. Of course, I’ve never had ANY problems with my American Express and it continues to be my favorite card.

11. Bob August 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm -

This actually just influenced my decision. I love SouthWest but have had some poor experiences with Chase. I was on the fence but after reading this post I’m definitely not going to get this card.

12. Patricia January 16, 2013 at 10:39 am -

Have had great luck with this card. I regularly get flights using the reward points. They do monitor spending and I had my credit card stopped as someone had ‘stolen” it and was charging away on it in another state. They got a new card to me in a day. Annoying yes- but frankly I would rather have Chase find the fraud themselves then me having to call them a month later about transactions that I did not make.