Let me start off this review by saying that Scosche has hit a home run with their solBAT II solar powered backup battery and charger. There really isn't much I would change on this solar powered gadget. Read on for the full review.
Scosche solBAT2 Review
Considering that just about everyone is toting around some battery powered gadget (iPhone, Blackberry, Droid, iPod, etc,) these days, an extra "off grid" battery charger is a nice gadget to have when a wall socket or computer isn't available. Add the fact that this "off grid" battery charger is solar powered and you had me at hello. Perfect for camping, long flights, etc,
The Scosche solBAT II has a full 1500mA lithium-ion battery capacity and managed to bring my nearly empty iPhone 3G to full capacity rather quickly with some extra juice left over. The standard type A USB adapter outputs 5V at 500mA. The solBAT 2 gives you plenty of charging options, you can plug it in to your USB port on your computer, or go solar by hanging it off of your backpack via the included carabiner clip, or drop it in to the clear plastic cradle which has suction cups for window charging.
- The Scosche solBAT ii is very portable measuring just 1.9 x 5.4 x 8.5 inches and only 5.6 ounces.
- Excellent clear suction cupped cradle for car or house windows.
- Carabiner clip for clipping on, well just about anything.
- Great battery capacity at 1500mA (5v; 500mA, lithium-ion).
- Super common USB type A female adapter
- Fair price point at under $20 here.
Bad (not much really)
The battery charging time via solar could be quicker, but then the solar panel would have to be much larger. If the device was larger it wouldn't have the portable size that I love so much. It currently takes about 4-5 days of good sun to fully charge via solar.