Call me old fashioned, I try not to use too many power tools. Don't get me wrong, if the job is large or repetitive the power tools come out, but I prefer to not rely on batteries if I don't have to. I have other ratchet style screwdrivers, but my new favorite is the SmartPro Tools SPT 3000-B Speed Driver ($16.99).
The SmartPro Tools Speed Driver not only has the ratcheting ability, similar to a ratchet wrench, but it also has a planetary gear system. Huh, a planetary gear system? Yep, that feature makes every turn of the screwdriver equal to four turns of the screwdriver head/bit. It is amazing. You also have the ability to switch between ratchet 1:1 speed or the speedier 4:1 speed. There are also 12 screwdriver bits that store neatly in the handle. Great gift for anyone who likes tools.
- Patented planetary gear design allows you to work 4 times faster than with ordinary screwdrivers.
- Patented switching mechanism allows on the fly switching between the 4:1 speed mode and the 1:1 standard mode.
- 3 position ratchet feature; forward, reverse and locked.
- Handle is made from a chemical resistant material and has a storage device to hold the 12 included screwdriver bits.
- Standard 1/4″ magnetized hex opening to hold all standard driver bits.
The Speed Driver 13 Piece Geared Screwdriver Set is a unique, patented screwdriver that allows you to work 4 times faster than with ordinary screwdrivers in low torque applications. The Speed Driver is actually 2 screwdrivers in one: (1) a high speed, low torque screwdriver operating at a speed of 4 turns of the screw for every 1 turn of the handle, and (2) a standard screwdriver for high torque applications operating at a speed of 1 turn of the screw for every 1 turn of the handle. The patented switching mechanism allows on the fly switching between the 4:1 speed mode and the 1:1 standard mode. The Speed Driver has a ratcheting feature with three working positions; forward, reverse and locked. The cushioned handle is chemical resistant and has a convenient storage device that holds up to 12 extra bits. The Speed Driver comes complete with 12 screwdriver bits and has a standard 1/4″ magnetized hex opening to hold all standard screwdriver bits.