It has been difficult to get excited about Bluetooth speakers lately. Most are made of cheap plastic, have poor sound quality, and frankly just leave a lot to be desired. The Pyle Audio PBTWP24 (PBTWP24BK, PBTWP24WT, PBTWP24BL) Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker/Handset was a refreshing change to the ho-hum Bluetooth marketplace. Not to spoil the Surf Sound PBTWP24 review, but I really like it. (* Update – liked it. It has died after a few wet rides) Read on for details.
I have been looking for a quality waterproof Bluetooth speaker for quite some time. Something I can take poolside but mainly use for good old fashioned shower singing. It has taken me quite some time to find one worth reviewing, until now.
The first thing you notice about the Pyle Surf Sound speaker is that it looks more like a phone than a speaker. There is a reason for that design style, it is both a speaker and a handset. In the picture above, the blue side of the PBTWP24BL is where the music controls (power, play/pause, track forward/back) and the speaker are located. The white side is where the earpiece speaker and microphone are for handling phone calls. The clear button below the earpiece allows you to transfer between the front speaker and the ear speaker. Clean simple and functional design.
On to the important part, how does the Pyle Surf Sound Waterproof Speaker sound? Decent. I realize that you aren't getting "stereo" sound, but are you really getting stereo sound out of, let's say, a 4-inch Bluetooth speaker? Realistically, when your left/right speakers are practically touching one another how can you distinguish the stereo sound? You can't. With that said the PBTWP24BL sounds great and manages to respect audio quality from highs all the way to the lows. Bass sounds great.
The build quality feels nice. The plastic is solid and not flimsy. You have a choice of colors (black, white, and blue) and they only cost about $40 here. The controls are easy to understand and use. All of audio controls reside in the front circle and the volume is on the side. The unit charges in 1.5 hours via an included USB cable and will play for about 8 hours (180 hours of standby).
** Update – It died after just a few months which actually equals only 4 trips where it got a bit wet. A splash here and there and it quit on me. Save your money if waterproof is what you are looking for. 🙁
- Bluetooth V2.1 Technology
- Enjoy Hands-Free Calls with Built-in Microphone
- Connect and Stream Audio from MP3 Players, Smartphones, Tablets, PC, etc.
- Compatible with Other Bluetooth-Enabled Devices
- Control Volume & Song Selection Wirelessly via Connected Device
- 2 Telephone Modes: Handset & Speaker
- IP-47 Waterproof & Dustproof Construction
- Easy Operation with Touch Button Controls
- Battery Life: 8 hours
- 10 Meter Bluetooth Range
- Includes USB Charging Cable
- Battery Capacity: 3.7V / 800mAh
- Battery Charging Time: 1.5 Hours
- Continuous Standby Time: 180 Hours
- Built-in Li-Polymer Rechargeable Battery
- Speaker Impedance (Output): 4-Ohm / 2 Watt
- Low Voltage Reminder Light
- Glossy UV Surface Treatment
- Attach or Hang Using the Retractable Hook
- Dimensions: 2.55” (W) x 6.0” (H) x 1.5” (D)