It’s good to see that Roku isn’t letting Google’s Chromecast streaming gadget take over the “simple’ end of the market uncontested. Roku’s HDMI Streaming Stick claims to provide more streaming options than any other device.
Just like the Chromecast, the Roku Streaming Stick uses your TV’s HDMI port and your wireless network for content delivery. Resolution will be as high as 1080p and US users will have access to more than 1,200 channels.
Some of the differentiators from Chromecast include the ability to stream any personal files stored on your smart devices and plans to stream from your home computers. You can pre-order the Roku Streaming Stick now for $49.99 here.
Roku Streaming Stickâ„¢ Features
- Compact stick design. Plugs discreetly right into the HDMI port. Great for wall-mounted TVs.
- 1,000+ entertainment channels and counting. By far the most movies, TV episodes, sports, news, music, kids' shows, and free channels of any streaming player.
- Control with included remote. Comes with a simple-to-use remote that the household can share. With RF technology, you can use your remote without pointing it at the TV
- Or control with your smartphone and tablet. Download the free Roku® iOS® or Androidâ„¢ app to choose what you want to watch on your Roku player via your mobile device. It's your choice.
- Send to TV from mobile. With apps from Netflix and YouTube, cast videos from your smartphone or tablet straight to your TV.
- Display personal media. Send your videos, photos and music stored locally on your smartphone to your TV screen with the Roku app.
- Find what you want to watch. Roku® Search makes it a snap to find your favorite movies and shows from top channels like Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, Amazon Instant Video and VUDU. Even compare pricing.
- Channel shortcut buttons. Jump straight to favorite channels such as Netflix and Amazon Instant Video with the push of a button.
- Stunning HD video quality. Immerse yourself in the action with rich, vibrant video streaming in up to 1080p HD.
- Dual-band wireless N. A robust extended-range wireless connection seamlessly streams video with ease and speed.