After a long wait, the Tesla Motors master plan is closer than ever to becoming a reality. Tonight the Tesla Model 3 was unveiled with confirmations of the $35k price and the 2017 delivery date. The car looks good. In fact it looks like a Model S, but just a tiny bit smaller. Read on for the details and more Tesla Model 3 pictures and video.
So what are some of the Tesla Model 3 specs and details? The details are light but we do know these things as of today.
- Current preorders are at 130,000 with a $1,000 deposit. That is $130,000,000 in deposit money!
- Assuming the average configured Model 3 will cost $40,000 (I think it will be more), that is 5.2-billion dollars of car sales on day one! That number is only going to grow.
- Base car will do 0-60 mph in 5 to 6 seconds. There will be faster versions available for more $.
- Range will be at least 215 miles. Tesla plans to extend this.
- All Tesla Model 3 cars will support Tesla high-speed supercharging.
- All Tesla Model 3 cars will have autopilot and relevant safety features.
- Customers will have the option of both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
- The touchscreen will be a 15-inch landscape view display (currently the Model S and X have a 17-inch portrait display).
- Seating will fit five adults comfortably.
- The windshield, roof, and rear window will be made of one continuous piece of glass.
- Will a 7-foot surfboard fit inside the car? Yes.
Additionally Tesla Motors plans to double the number of superchargers to 7,200 by the end of 2017. They also plan on more than doubling their dealer network (sales and service) by the end of 2017.